Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hellacious Tuesdays

It has been a most frantic and stressful day. The tale begins yesterday, when I was first led astray from the golden path of rational and wise behavior by the enticing allure of free food. Food that is not free is seductive enough; but food that is free? I am helpless against it. So needless to say, I partook of the dread bounty, irreversibly throwing my eating schedule for the rest of the day. As a result, I was not hungry at dinner time and I didn't become conscious of my hunger until the wee hours of the morning, at which point I was only still awake due to paper-writing.

Thus begins part two of the chronicles of my foolish ways, as I had not properly planned and written my paper over the weekend, but was instead choosing to write it the day it was due. At last I tame the beast and send it to my professor, but only to be at this point thrust into the arms of still further folly, as I then had to write a paper for my class that at this point was only six hours in the future. I type along for a good hour and a half until I finally have that printed and ready for the class looming in my future. To bed at 4 in the morning, I awake to a shrill alarm clock at 7. I scurry to class in the pouring rain and successfully produce my paper for class, and then am subjected to an hour and a half of tedium. At long last released from this, I head to my next class, which is a Japanese culture class. Interestingly enough, we were exploring martial arts for that particular class, which would have been wonderful and entertaining on any day except the day on which I last ate 18 hours prior and had only three hours of sleep to sustain me. After an hour and a half of minor exertions, I dash to the housing lottery which began ten minutes before my class ended. I arrive only to find myself thwarted by a long, winding line of people. The school had severely mismanaged its procedures, resulting in undue waiting, stress, and boredom. Thirty minutes in, I begin to feel lightheaded, however, I could not pursue a chair without losing my place in line. At long, long last, after a total of fifty minutes standing in line, it is my turn to draw a number for housing. I pull number 38. I was very fortunate indeed!

My original plan had been to skip lunch and instead take a shower and do homework for my 1pm class, but this was when I was still naive enough to believe the housing process would take 20 minutes. But at last acknowledging that at the very least I needed food, I immediately head to the dining hall, where I scarf down a burger and head back to my dorm to finish my homework. 

By this time the housing had been so unexpectedly long, I had but twenty minutes remaining in which to do my homework. I furiously began throwing things together, trying my best to beat the deadline. Ten minutes before class I had to begin walking in order to not be late. I cross campus and arrive, immediately resuming my work. I did manage to put something together in time. It was hardly my best work, but it was passable. The class usually lasts three hours, but my professor kindly released us early. The class is a theater class, for which I had just applied make-up to be graded. It is my custom to return to my dorm and photograph the evidence of my theatrical escapades. However, this time I opened the door to leave and was greeted by a downpour. I closed the door and pondered how to reach my dorm without a blurred mess covering my face by the end. At last I concocted a most ridiculous but effective plan, pulling out my large drawing pad and using it as a bill over my forehead and then removing my sweater and using it as a tent over my head. I'm sure the combination of this set up along with my already outlandish make-up and unwieldy tackle box and bookbag was an amusing sight to behold. 

At last arriving at my dorm, I did, in fact, manage to photograph the make-up. Then I remembered I had to pick up an important letter from the Registrar, the office of which closes at 4:30pm. By this time it was nearly 4pm and I had strange make-up covering my face. Thus began the adventure of make-up removal. Layer after layer of cold cream was applied, massaging it in and using water to wipe away. This process was repeated again and again, each time managing to remove a small layer. My face by this time was a gray blob and the make-up directly surrounding my eyes was stubborn. By the end I settled for a slight gray haze and what was essentially white eyeliner around one eye and black around the other. It was an interesting look.


I make it to the Registrar's with some semblence of normalcy and successfully acquire the letter. At this point, at long last, I have a break! I spend it napping, but only have an hour before I have to head to the housing selection process. I go with my cousin as we hoped to both have singles in the same general vicinity to one another. Everyone attempting to get a single is present, and due to our good numbers I am fifth and my cousin seventh in line. Despite this, however, by the time I approach, both my first and second choices are already claimed. However, my cousin and I managed to both get singles together in a house on the outskirts of campus, which was more than satisfying. From there I run directly to my last class of the day, the "lab" portion of my theater class. It also is allotted three hours, but my professor again released us early. At 9pm, my day hectic day at long last requires nothing more of me! After class I grab dinner with some friends and then head back to my room for some much needed rest. 

In other words, I haven't updated recently because I've been busy. My bad. 

1 comment: